The Second 50

What friends are saying about The Second 50: Funny, random, literary, angsty.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Tired and Sore with Lingering Happiness Part 4:The Fun


The Fun

Sliding down creates freezer burn of the bum, but is too much fun to care about. I have a video clip of sliding down on our feet and glisssading on our bottoms but the file is too big to download to the blog. They used to make special equipment for this activity: a pair of pants with waterproof patches on the bottom are on display in the visitor center. The odd shape in the distance is me bending over my backpack.

Going down creats thirst, too. Time to stop for a drink. Can't hold the water bottle or the camera on the way down.
Brenton started it. Preparing to throw another snowball by a snow chute. We came by several of these on the way down. Some were so well made that Brenton became a human bobsled banking on the sides of the chute. That particular shute and the one beside it ended in a rock outcropping. Brenton and I weren't sure if we would be able to stop before we got to the rocks. We hesitated. There was only one way to find out and making our guide do it first wasn't it.

Brenton returns fire.
At one with the penguin universe.



A stream flows through a rock outcropping.




My gloves were soaked and my hands were freezing. I was glad that I had packed my waterproof mittens. Now my hands are warm enough to take the mittens off to take pictures. You can see the mittens resting in the background next to my pack on the rocks.
Brenton falls and poses as though he meant to. I fall and begin a slide on my side holding up a finger to let him know I'll be back in a moment to take his picture. Unfortunately, in order to do that I have to brake with the walking stick. I'm wet in 40 degree weather and fairly comfortable. I'm glad I'm wearing the borrowed synthetic clothing which dries as fast as a bathing suit.




I wanted to be sure a got a good photo of the way the water flowed out from under the snow. I wanted to be able to capture the depth perception. Phil said, "Why don't I just stay home and take a picture of the kitchen faucet."

To be continued when I find more space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home