The Second 50

What friends are saying about The Second 50: Funny, random, literary, angsty.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Southern Skew

We were searching for origami paper in a nearby town when we drove by a Soul Food Bookstore. Many colorful African flags waved at us from the awning. I hadn’t seen much soul food since we left the south. Maybe I could find a good recipe for bean pie. Did we want to browse in there after the craft shop? I most definitely wanted to go inside. I had recently been agonizing over the loss of some of my primary source slave and African/American books in our move. Where was The Souls of Black Folks by W.E.B. Dubois? What had happened to The Life and Times of Frederick Douglas by Frederick Douglas? These and other treasures unknown to me as yet were surely waiting to be discovered inside the Soul Food Bookstore. We went inside. There were fountains and candles and incense and books by Deepak Chokpra. I took a closer look at the flags – rainbows and flowers and anhks. Oh, that soul.

Posted by cindy at June 26, 2006 05:42 AM

Comments

That was a sad discovery indeed. ;)

Posted by: Calamity Jane at June 26, 2006 01:56 PM

Oh my what a terrible discovery, but think it could have been a restaurant, think of the disapointment! ... Jeremy is hungry :-)

Posted by: Jeremy at July 10, 2006 09:21 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home