The Second 50

What friends are saying about The Second 50: Funny, random, literary, angsty.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Life Cycles By




The heavens declare His glory with the sunshine on this October day as we walk along the path by the slough, passing golden leaves and red berries against a sky of robin egg blue; people passing on roller blades and bicycles. Ah look! a wooly bear waddling in his fur coat across the path, heading to the grass, getting ready to change from caterpillar glory to moth glory; death and resurrection; metamorphosis. Like my mother liked to sing, "I'll fly away someday."

 Look there’s another one and another and another.  It’s a caterpillar crossing, a mighty migration. I kneel to pet one’s black and brown bristles; to praise his cuteness. Ding-a-ling, ding-a-ling. Passing on the right! Oh. That one didn’t make it. That one either. Nor that one. I take a long look down the dotted asphalt river. My metaphors of comfort crushed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amity said...

That was such a nice picture, and then - EW!
How do you pronounce slough?

Wed Oct 23, 04:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Little Spinach said...

sounds like slew

Wed Oct 23, 07:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Robin C said...

I thought it was like sloff, you know, the slough of despond. Slew of despond doesn't sound as despondent. I am waiting for my dictionary app to speak it to me...waiting...waiting...will check in another day! Loved the piece.

Thu Oct 31, 06:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Robin C said...

My dictionary app finally admitted that it had no pronunciation for that word. That's because it's pronounced differently depending on the meaning. And slew is correct therefore.

Thu Oct 31, 06:24:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home