The Second 50

What friends are saying about The Second 50: Funny, random, literary, angsty.

Friday, September 29, 2006

The Perfect Present

Last week I mailed my daughter a present to arrive on her birthday, today. It did! I found it a month ago at a thrift store. It was a children's Japanese version of Aesop's Fables with bright Japanese graphics. Since Amity audits a Japanese class while she is getting her master's degree in French translation, I thought she would really enjoy this book. A gift so finely tuned to its recipient for a quarter just made me feel really clever. So I called her on my cell to wish her a "Happy Birthday," today, and she had just received her package. Should she open it? she asked.
"Oh yes, do!" I replied my excitement mounting. And then I realized that it might be the wrong level of Japanese. It might be Kanji or Katakana or Hiragana, thereagana, something entirely unintelligible to Amity.
"Can you read it? "I ask with mounting anxiety. "Is it the right level of Japanese?"
"It's Korean. "

Posted by cindy at February 1, 2006 06:29 PM
Comments
Hahahaha awwwww that was still an amazing find! I guess she'll just have to learn another language :-D
Posted by: Jeremy at February 2, 2006 11:26 PM
Dork
Posted by: Sharon at February 16, 2006 03:15 AM
That reminds me of the time we found some fancy towels with Chinese characters to bring our Chinese teacher for her birthday. We proudly presented the gift and she told us - this is Japanese.
Posted by: Kathy at March 15, 2006 09:13 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home